Embryonic is the twelfth album by The Flaming Lips, released on October 13, 2009. It is the first and only double album released by the group, and featured a substantial shift in the group's sound. The group largely abandoned the polished pop sound of their previous record, At War with the Mystics, and created a darker, more garage influenced record. Embryonic was inspired by classic psychedelic rock, and is much darker in tone than any of the group's music before it. The record also marked a notable change in the group's visual aesthetic, from brighter, whimsical psychedelia to oft explicit and gory imagery. It featured collaborations with MGMT and Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
It was very well received by critics, who praised the band for their originality. It was named Pitchfork's fourth best album of 2009.
- Convinced of the Hex - 3:56
- The Sparrow Looks Up at the Machine - 4:14
- Evil - 5:38
- Aquarius Sabotage - 2:11
- See the Leaves - 4:24
- If - 2:05
- Gemini Syringes (ft. Thorsten Wormann and Karen O) - 3:41
- Your Bats - 2:35
- Powerless - 6:57
- The Ego's Last Stand - 5:41
- I Can Be a Frog (ft. Karen O) - 2:14
- Sagittarius Silver Announcement - 2:59
- Worm Mountain (ft. MGMT) - 5:21
- Scorpio Sword - 2:02
- The Impulse - 4:06
- Silver Trembling Hands - 3:59
- Virgo Self-Esteem Broadcast (ft. Thorsten Wormann) - 3:44
- Watching the Planets (ft. Karen O) - 5:17
The Flaming Lips Releases
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.